Hello Kind Souls, I am excited to be sharing with you on Carrie's wonderful blog!
Winter has most certainly arrived. The Winter sun seems to rise reluctantly and sink too soon below the frozen horizon. While this time of year is festive and special, it can also be highly challenging. The holidays bring a lot of joy, but they can also bring up a lot of mixed emotions too. Additionally, the lack of sunlight can definitely affect our mood and well-being. I hope these self-care tips help you nourish yourself and connect with your own inner light.
5 Self-Care Practices I Love:
- Diffusing essential oils. Right now I am especially loving Cinnamon and Lemon. Cinnamon is revitalizing and combats apathy, while Lemon is uplifting and clears stagnant energy. I find that these two oils can really brighten us up in Winter.
- Hot baths. There is nothing quite like an aromatic bath! One of my first introductions to essential oils was actually from a product called Dr. Singha's Mustard Bath. It's a blend of powdered mustard seed and essential ois, and it's great for achy muscles. It sounds odd, but it really works. You can also try adding a couple drops of essential oils to a cup of epsom salts and then add the scented salts to your bath. Right now I am loving Ginger Oil, which is warming and helps ease muscular aches and pains.
- Movie nights. Or afternoons! I love to curl up with my dogs and watch old b&w movies.
- Abhyanga. This is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that is deeply restorative. Abhyanga is an anointing and massage of the body with warm oil often infused with herbs and/or essential oils. I love using my Winter Aromatherapy Oil, and I also enjoy cold pressed sesame oil, too. Savor Abhyanga while listening to soothing music.
- Lavender. Did you know that Lavender is known as the "Oil of Compassion"? Before I go to sleep, a few drops on my pillow soothes the mind's worries.
I hope these tips are helpful for you! What are your favorite self-care practices for Winter?
Wishing you many blessings and a nourishing holiday season . . . .
Miriam Carl is a certified aromatherapist, botanical perfumer, and founder of Kindred Earth Botanicals. In addition to working with clients and creating custom blends, Miriam also loves cooking, yoga, poetry, and spending time with her friends, family, and two fluffy dogs.
As a way to kick off the Winter Self-Care Series, Miriam and I are pairing up for a special giveaway!
Kindred Earth Botanicals
Winter Aromatherapy Program
Savor new recipes, feel uplifted and inspired, and experience living in harmony with the seasons. This program is nourishing, informative, and fun with a few surprises thrown in, too! Winter Aromatherapy is based on wisdom from healing traditions around the world . . .
The winner will receive:
- Winter Aromatherapy Anointing Oil for joy, optimism & deep relaxation
- Tips for feeling your best in Winter
- Healthy, comforting, seasonally inspired recipes
The deadline to enter the drawing will be Saturday, December 20th at 11:59 p.m. PST. A winner will be chosen and announced on Winter Solstice, December 21st.
Congratulations to Susan Somers, the winner of the Winter Solstice Giveaway! Thank you to all who participated. Be sure to check the blog later this week for your next chance to win!